Thursday, October 1, 2009

From a Movement to a Museum

So how does a movement avoid becoming a museum? Unfortunately that's the general progression. At some point, the focus on "where we're going" becomes a focus on "where we've been," or even worse, "what we used to do."

From the Protestant Reformation to the Great Awakening, there is a history of Movements in Christendom, mass + velocity + direction, to steal an idea from Dave Ferguson. But benchmarks are reached, goals are achieved and what was once an all out striving to do what is unthinkable, becomes a satisfied glance backward at the already accomplished.

And we start saying things like, "That's too risky..." "That could bring the whole thing crashing down..." or "We have too much to lose."

And then we start naming buildings after people.

1 comment:

Chad Webb said...

I have been thinking about Henri Houwen's question, "Did becoming older bring me closer to Jesus?"

My thoughts are initially yes because as I aged I have become more vulnerable to things I can't control, provide or contain by myself. i.e. providing for my family.

I also thought about the "older" comment as what am I stuck at not wanting to change because "I" am telling myself whatever it is can't or shouldn't be changed. Or the thought of them being overwhelming.

Something struck me as I realize I don't need to be spectacular in leading these movements like I am looking for God's approval to gloat.

As I read Matthew 18:19-20, I have recognized that we are called to proclaim the Gospel together, in community. And where there is two or more, there is movement.