Monday, October 5, 2009

Book Review: Find Your Strongest Life by Marcus Buckingham

Bottom Line: I liked it and my wife liked it.

Important footnote to be placed somewhere above the bottom line: It may not be the revolutionary solution to all your problems as a wife and mother.


A few years back I picked up a copy of Marcus Buckingham's Now, Discover Your Strengths. Loved it. Took the Strenth Finders Online test and got a pretty good look at the themes in my life that are potential strengths.

So when Thomas Nelson contacted me about reviewing Find Your Strongest Life, I was definitely interested. I got the book in the mail and an odd thing happened. My wife Tricia picked up the book before I got a chance to, and read the intro and the first few chapters. She brought it to me, impressed by the info she gleaned just from those first few pages.

Buckingham's basic tenet is that women can draw enough strength from life to feel fulfilled, loved, successful, and in control. He states that the SIGNs of a strong life (mind the acrostic) are:
  1. Successful
  2. Instinctively looking forward to tomorrow
  3. Growing and learning
  4. Needs fulfilled
Here is Marcus Buckingham talking about the book:

Overall, Buckingham echoes the lesson learned in his previous books which is: Focus on your strengths -- the things you do well, easily and that make you glad you did them -- and you'll be happier and more successful. This makes an incredible amount of sense when we're talking about a work environment. I'm just not sure that it can always be that simple when speaking to the non-negotiable requirements of motherhood.

Still the principles are solid and will benefit the working wife and mother who can put them into play in her life. This book is definitely for the woman who is frustrated by her attempts to juggle career, family, marriage, and her other relationships and responsibilities. For the older CEO-type whose kids are already out of the nest... skip this and go read Now, Discover Your Strengths.



No comments: