Monday, August 25, 2008

My Plans or God's Plans

I find it hard at times to know when something is what God wants and when it is just what I want. One of the hardest decisions I've had to make recently came down to this. For almost a year, I've believed that my next step in ministry was to be a church planter. But for now, Tricia and I do not believe that is what God is calling us to do. The desire is there, but we don't want to be anywhere that God is not directing us to be.

For many reasons, I guess, becoming a church planter seemed like the obvious move for us. But as I read books, blogs and articles; as I listened to podcasts about church planting, the one thing (the only thing!) they all agreed on was this: Do not plant a church unless you are 100% sure that God has called you to plant the church. After much honest discussion and evaluation, Tricia and I don't believe that we have been so called. Yet! I still hope that this is in my future. I get pretty stoked at the thought of it.

So what does this mean for our family's immediate future... I'm so glad you asked.

  • It means that we are planning to stay in Morris for the next 8 months or so. The kids have started school here and we'd rather not take them out. Tricia has also started her school year (teaching) and would like to be able to finish the school year if at all possible. So if you're in Morris, you might see us around.
  • It means that I have to get job! Sticking around means certain bills have to be paid, but I'm not going to jump into a local ministry position just for a paycheck. I definitely want to be in my next ministry position for several years at least. In the mean time, I'll find something to do in the surrounding area. (This would be a good time to call with an offer!!!!)
  • It means that we'll be plugging into a local church (local meaning with 30-45 minutes). Even if my job isn't to be a pastor currently, I'm still called (as each of you are) to plug into a local gathering of Christ-followers and use my gifts to help that church accomplish the Jesus Mission. We've visited a few churches...we may visit a few more, but one has become a likely choice.
Of course we still have lots of questions about what the future holds and we're on our knees, asking God to show us where He wants us, but we are confident that right now we are being faithful. God hasn't shown us what is coming next, so right now we will listen for His voice and follow Him however He leads us. More than anything else we want to follow His plan, no matter what that does to our plans.

1 comment:

Steve Mahnke said...

Thank God for you and Tricia, no matter what, you both will be doing the work of the Lord, whether that be in a house or a church. Be Jesus wherever you are. Never lose faith. You are right where you are supposed to be. God has a plan for you, somehow you are going to grow through this, and become stronger. I can keep pushing for you as a contractor once things settle out. Praise God, and bless you guys.