Sunday, January 18, 2009

What does your marketing tell about you?

I don't really want to get into the argument about whether or not churches should be involved in marketing. For the purpose of this post, understand that I believe marketing is anything you do to affect the way others perceive you or your organization. For example, I don't want my neighbors to think I'm a lazy, bad person to live by, so I cut my grass, conduct general upkeep on the outside of the house and keep trash and toys picked up out of the yard. I don't want our friends to think we generally live in a pig sty, so I straighten the living room and close all other doors before someone comes over. It's all marketing -- affecting the way others perceive us.

So what it your organization communicating to others?
  • If you're are a church, do you claim to be focused on impacting your community, but program exclusively for those who come through your doors?
  • If you're a business, do you claim to be focused on customer service, but reward your employees for profit and not for how satisfied customers are?

By the way, I'm trying to sell my house...
Maybe you're like me and it's time to revisit what your marketing is really saying?

No comments: