Thursday, October 16, 2008

Pumpkin Thoughts






It's obviously Pumpkin Time around the Reeves house...




And as the weather gets colder, I'm praying that our family will draw closer. My new job is a great opportunity for me to be able to have an impact on some lives that are desperate for it. But it has a very serious drawback. My most common shift is from 3p - 11:30p...not the best shift to draw when your kids are in school and your wife works days.

So what do you do? Since I no longer get the quantity that I'm used to, I have to make the most of every moment I have. Here's what that looks like...

  • It's generally my job to wake the kids up about 6:30a. Now that routine often involves crawling into bed with them for some "snugglin" before I give piggy-back rides down to breakfast.
  • I love to play xbox and blog/read blogs. I don't do either of those when my kids are home (or watch TV) unless I'm playing or watching with them.
  • I take special pains to remain calm and have fun with them, even while getting ready for school (often very hectic time) because now there are no "throw-away moments." Every minute I spend with them, whether I'm making breakfast or they're brushing their teeth, is a big percentage of the time I get to spend with them daily. There is no time to waste.
  • An afternoon off is something to celebrate. Yesterday, my son came home from kindergarten singing some "restaurant song" that mentioned Red Lobster. So where did the Reeves family spontaneously go for dinner?
  • An evening at home is something to treasure. I don't often get to see my kids off to bed anymore, so where we used to just "say our prayers," now I take it as a special privilege to really pray over my kids. More than ever I need God's power shielding them, revealing Himself to them, and giving me strength to stay focused on the things mentioned in these four other bullets.
I don't look to continue this work schedule forever, but while I'm in it, I'm going to let it drive me to focus on making the most with the time that I have where I'm needed the most: at home.

No comments: