Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Priority of a Worship Leader

As the leader of the Crossroads Creative Art Teams, I get to lead our congregation in corporate worship quite often. I'm sure there are lots of questions you may have about that job -- or maybe not -- but either way, I think I will take a few moments of your time to talk about what is important for a worship leader.

First off, even when I'm leading the band onstage, I'm not the only worship leader. Our lighting team leads worship, our sound team leads worship, our media team leads worship, the Crossroads Kids volunteers who provide such an excellent and fun learning environment for our kids are all helping to lead worship. So my thoughts on the priority of a worship leader are not just for myself and others who sing into a microphone... they are for any and all who give their time and talents to help guests and members alike, approach God in worship on Sunday mornings.

What's the most important part of being a worship leader? Here are my top 3 priorities:
  1. To love and follow Christ completely
  2. To love those around me (beginning with my family and my teams)
  3. To lead others in worshiping

The moment I get those 3 out of order, my effectiveness goes into the tank. No matter how well I sing or play and no matter how well our band performs, if my corporate worship is not built upon the foundation of private worship, then I'm just a clanging gong, to steal a phrase from the Apostle Paul. (Don't get excited... I didn't say "cowbell")

But when I arrive on Sunday, full of the knowledge and the presence of the Holy Spirit... when I have invested in and reflected the love of Jesus in the lives of my wife, my kids and my team members, then I'm prepared to worship God jointly with my church family, knowing that many will look to me to lead.

You also are a leader. You have influence. What are the most important things for you to consider as you bring that influence to bear with your friends, your kids, your co-workers, etc?

No comments: